built bigger armies, resulting in wars in Latin America.
witnessed a growth in the middle sectors of Latin American society.
became a target of aggressive Japanese traders, who cheated the young nations in unfair trade contacts.
generally saw no need to industrialize as they already had done so.
22. In the Latin American colonial system, who were the mestizos? (1 point)
top of the social classes; held all the important positions
the largest group; worked as servants and laborers
controlled land and business; regarded as second class citizens
the native peoples; enslaved by the African colonists
23. In an attempt to adjust the trade imbalance with China, Britain began
increasing the price of steel traded by China.
decreasing the amount of tea and porcelain purchased from China.
shipping opium grown in India directly to China.
shipping silk made in India directly to England.
24. As a result of the Treaty of Nanjing, Britain was (1 point)
forced to stop all trade with China and Japan.
paid millions of dollars worth of Chinese silk, tea, and porcelain as war reparations.
unable to balance its trade with China.
given the island of Hong Kong, among other concessions.
25. Under the military pressure of Commodore Matthew Perry’s fleet, Japan (1 point)
formed the Sat-Cho society.
treated shipwrecked American sailors like criminals.
signed the Treaty of Kanagawa, opening up trade relations with the United States.
demanded the shogun become president of Japan.
26. The Meiji Restoration was responsible for all of the following EXCEPT (1 point)
weakening the power of the traditional nobles.
creating a constitution.
rejecting all Western ideas, even industrialization.
27. President William McKinley decided to turn the Philippines into
an American colony (1 point)
because it was a convenient point for trade with China.
to prevent the area from falling back into the hands of the Spanish.
because many Americans already lived there.
in order to conquer neighboring Japan.
28. The 1904 war between Russia and Japan resulted in (1 point)
the humiliating defeat of Russia.
Russian control of Korea.
greater respect for Russia round the world.
more Japanese immigration to the U.S.
29. In the proposed program by reformer Sun Yat-sen, who will choose the president? (1 point)
the people of the country